All irrigation services 20 horsepower and greater will be affected by our policy requiring the assessment of a power factor adjustment on services with a power factor less than 90%. Customers that choose to improve their power factors will avoid the power factor adjustment by installing capacitors that improve power factor to 90% or greater.
IMPORTANT POWER FACTOR DATES
As published in the 2022 Load Management Newsletter, below is a list of important dates relating to power factor:
- Customers who have already recieved a capacitor rebate will receive the remaining rebate value according to adjustments made in April 2022. Those rebates are due to eligible customers by May 31, 2022.
- Capacitors installed by December 31, 2022 are eligible for a $400 rebate.
- Capacitors installed by December 31, 2023 are eligible for a $200 rebate.
- Rebates will be discontiued in 2024.
CAPACITORS & ADJUSTMENTS:
- Although capacitors are ot required, they correct power factor. Installing a capacitor to adjust power factor to at least 90% will help you avoid a power factor adjustmet. They must be installed prior to May 1, 2023 or prior to irrigating.
- Your first power factor adjustment will appear on your September 2023 billing statement.
CALCULATE YOUR POTENTIAL POWER FACTOR ADJUSTMENT
Input your data into the POWER FACTOR CALCULATOR. The calculator will provide you with the potential adjustment across the entire range of Irrigation Rates. You can match the calculation to your current rate and see what the difference would be if you switch to a different rate level.
CAPACITOR INSTALLATION REBATES
A rebate is available per irrigation account for the installation of power factor correcting capacitors.
- $400 for capacitors installed by December 31, 2022.
- $200 for capacitors installed by December 31, 2023.
- No rebate for capacitors installed after January 1, 2024
Learn more about the guidelines and download the application:
ADVANTAGES OF IMPROVED POWER FACTOR
- Longer Motor Life
- Decreases Starting and Running Current on Motor
- Improved Voltage for Customer’s Equipment
- Positive Impact on Rates