Southern Public Power District owns 670 acres in the former Cornhusker Army Ammunition Plant located 2 miles west of Grand Island in South Central Nebraska. All 670 acres are available for development, or broken down into smaller parcels. Production at this plant ceased over 25 years ago and the property has been returned to private use.
Southern’s vision is to develop this area with companies that have significant electricity requirements. Development in this manner is consistent with our core values of selling electricity and maintaining low operating costs per unit of sales. Some of the advantages this land has for potential industries include:
- Rail access from both Burlington Northern Santa Fe and Union Pacific
- Local onsite rail car company that can provide locomotive service for car movement.
- Truck traffic is easily handled at this site.
- Multiple access roads
- Reasonable land prices
- Large sites available (up to 300 acres)
- Natural gas, electricity and water service available at competitive prices.
Southern is a member of the following organizations:
- Nebraska Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Nebraska Economic Developers Association
- Aurora Area Chamber & Development Corporation
- Central City Area Chamber of Commerce
- Grand Island Area Chamber of Commerce
- Grand Island Area Economic Development
- Minden Area Chamber of Commerce
- Phelps County Development Corporation
The district is also works in cooperation with the Nebraska Development Network and the Nebraska Economic Developers Association.
Large Power Rate
For information concerning our rates for large power customers, contact Sam Reinke at (308) 384-2350.
For more information about Energy Park property, please contact:
Southern Public Power District
4550 W. Husker Highway
PO Box 1687
Grand Island, NE 68802-1687
Phone: (308) 384-2350
Cornhusker Industrial Park
The Grand Island Area Economic Development owns Cornhusker Industrial Park. This site is at the crossroads of two Class 1 rail systems, Union Pacific and Burlington Northern-Santa Fe. The advantages of this property are numerous and include the potential of a dual-access railroad, residentially restricted area, and access to major highways.