There are so many things to think about when you are experiencing the devastation of a flood. But we would like to remind those experiencing flooding to remember these safety tips in regards to electric safety:
- Never step into a flooded basement or other room if water may be in contact with electrical outlets, appliances or cords. The water could be energized.
- Never attempt to turn off power at the breaker box if you must stand in water to do so. If you can’t reach your breaker box safely, call your electric utility to shut off power at the meter.
- Never use electric appliances or touch electric wires, switches or fuses when you’re wet or when you’re standing in water.
- Keep electric tools and equipment at least 10 feet away from wet surfaces. Do not use electric yard tools if it’s raining or the ground is wet.
- If an electrical appliance has been in contact with water, have a professional check it out before it is used. It may need to be repaired or replaced.