We all have a lot on our minds. But in the field, you cannot work safely if you are distracted.
Look Up. Look Out. LIVE! Remember those words and keep these electrical safety tips in mind:
- Keep cultivators, sprayers and planters AT LEAST 10 FEET from power lines and electrical facilities.
- Use a spotter when maneuvering large equipment.
- Inspect entrances into fields to ensure adequate clearance for equipment.
- Use a spotter from a good vantage point to verify that entry points offer sufficient clearance.
- Never attempt to move a power line out of the way or raise it for clearance.
- If you’re equipment contacts a power line, remain inside the vehicle until linemen from SPPD arrive to de-energize the line. Stepping out of the equipment creates a path from the equipment to the ground, and electricity will use YOU as a path.