We are pleased to introduce a new publication, designed and published for our customers.
With heavy rain, and snow, and frozen ground creating hazards throughout Nebraska, there are many hazards to consider pertaining to electricity. The following are some safety measures to keep in mind:
- Never step into a flooded basement or other room if water may be in contact with electrical outlets, appliances or cords. The water could be energized, and could shock or electrocute you.
- Never attempt to turn off power at the breaker box if you must stand in water to do so. If you can’t reach your breaker box safely, call your electric utility to shut off power at the meter.
- Never use electric appliances or touch electric wires, switches or fuses when you’re wet or when you’re standing in water.
- Keep electric tools and equipment at least 10 feet away from wet surfaces. Do not use electric yard tools if it’s raining or the ground is wet.
- If an electrical appliance has been in contact with water, have a professional check it out before it is used. It may need to be repaired or replaced.
Heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the United States.
More than 65,000 home fires are attributed to heating equipment each year. These fire result in hundreds of deaths, thousands of injuries and millions of dollars in property damage.
Portable electric space heaters can be a convenient source of supplemental heat for your home in cold weather. Unfortunately, they can pose significant fire and electric shock hazards if not used properly. Fire and electrical hazards can be caused by space heaters without adequate safety features, space heaters placed near combustibles, or space heaters that are improperly plugged in.
Safety should always be a top consideration when using space heaters. Here are some tips for keeping your home safe and warm when it’s cold outside:
- Make sure your space heater has the label showing that it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory.
- Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.
- Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. If frayed, worn or damaged, do not use the heater.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play too close to a space heater.
- Space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes.
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas and test them once a month.
- Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
- Locate space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose a tripping hazard.
- Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
- Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture, or carpet, which can overheat and start a fire.
- Always unplug and safely store the heater when it is not in use.
SOURCE: Electrical Safety Foundation International
AURORA AREA CUSTOMERS: Southern Power District crews will be making a sweep through storm damaged areas on Monday, making repairs as needed. As they conduct this work, customers within a 15-20 mile radius to the north and south of Aurora may experience very brief power outages as this work occurs. The work will take place Monday, December 31st and will begin at 9:00 am and continue throughout the work day but again…these outages will be very brief.
THIS OUTAGE DOES NOT INCLUDE THE CITY OF AURORA, OR ANY NEARBY TOWNS SUCH AS MARQUETTE, HORDVILLE OR STOCKHAM.
Winter weather is forecast beginning Friday. Be prepared, and stay informed!
A $2,500 Operation ROUND UP check was presented to Kenesaw Heritage Museum on Saturday, December 15th.